Dell are well-known for their award-winning devices, including desktops, laptops, 2-in-1s and workstations. Some of their devices are crafted specifically for specialised environments. This week, they launched six new Windows 10 gaming laptops to add to their range, partnering with Alienware and becoming the official PC hardware partner of the NBA 2K League. Read on to find out more.
Together with Alienware, the new additions to the gaming laptop range are based on the new 8th Gen Intel Core high performance processors. These are intended to continue the commitment Dell made to offering the ultimate gaming experience. There’s also the introduction of the Dell G Series, a suite of PCs beginning at £799. Alienware are also looking to build on what they have already achieved over the last decade in esports by forging a partnership with the NBA 2K League, Miami HEAT and Misfits Gaming.
“We are ambassadors to the PC gaming world,” says Frank Azor, vice president and general manager, Alienware and Dell Gaming. “From pushing the boundaries of innovation in our Alienware line and creating systems for today’s top competitive gamers and leagues, to our new affordable G Series line-up, we’re enabling gamers of all levels to game at their best.”
Alienware 15 and 17 with 8th Gen Intel® Core™ CPUs
The Alienware 15 and 17 gaming laptops feature a new 8th Gen Intel Core i5, i7 and i9 processor with up to 6-cores. This will enable overlocking up to 5.0GHZ. The cooling technology has been improved to offer enhanced performance. The Alienware Cryo-Tech v2.0 has a 50% thinner fan blade and a vapour chamber on the CPU. This will help to cool the increased number of cores, offering an overall 10% performance boost and making VR immersion and AAA gameplay smoother and therefore more enjoyable. Alienware have also added the Alienware Command Centre to their new range of laptops, which were debuted at CES 2018. The intention is that the new interface will assist gamers in optimising, overclocking and tuning Alienware PCs and peripherals to their own special gaming needs. This step-up in customisation will allow gamers more control over the Alienware 15 and 17 laptops’ programmable lighting zones and unlock more than a mind-boggling 80 quadrillion possible lighting combinations.
Both the Alienware 15 and 17 come in two stylish colours, with the quirky names Space Grey and Epic Black.
- Alienware 15 and 17 will be available online on the Dell website on April 5 with limited configurations available now and more options coming later.
- Dell G3 15 will be available from mid-July
- Dell G3 17 will be available from April 26 on Dell.com with limited configurations now and more coming soon.
- Dell G5 15 will be available May 3 on Dell.com and select retailers with limited configurations now and more coming soon.
Dell G Series, the new range of game-ready PCs
Some readers might be occasional gamers or have low budgets, so they’re wondering what’s available in the range for them. Well, Dell have launched a new suite of Windows 10 gaming PCs designed for all levels of players and varying budgets. The three systems are the Dell G13 15, the Dell G3 17 and the Dell G5 15. All feature a design being described as “gaming-forward” and a sharp performance, with prices to suit difference budgets. They are equipped with 8th Gen Intel Core processors, thermal management solutions, anti-glare IPS panels, intelligent content prioritisation software and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10-Series GPUs.
Dell G3 15 and 17
- Coming in 15 and 17-inch sizes, Dell G3 15 and 17 laptops are powered by NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 up to 1060 Max-Q discrete GPUs, up to 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 CPUs, dual fans and dual drives with SSD options
- The laptops’ 2×2 WiFi antenna design provides great wireless performance, while the SmartByte software prioritises gaming and video content keeping them smooth, even during large file downloads
- All encased in a refined performance inspired design and a silky matte exterior finish, the laptops boast a sleek 22.7mm (15) / 25mm (17) profile encouraging gaming-on-the-go
- G3 15 is Dell’s thinnest gaming laptop to date
- Dell G3 15 will offer three colour options (Black, Recon Blue, Alpine White) and Dell G3 17 will offer two colour options (Black, Recon Blue)
- For those seeking a step-up in performance from the G3 systems, the Dell G5 15 comes in a sleek 25mm thin 15-inch chassis, with powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPUs with Max-Q design technology
- The systems feature 6GB GDDR5 dedicated memory4, up to 6-core performance with 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors (with up to Core i7 on the G5), dual fans, and dual drives with SSD options
- Killer 1×1 networking optimisation (supporting up to 2×2) or SmartByte software responsively prioritise content downloads for liquid smooth gaming and streaming
- Designed to push heat and noise away from the user, Dell equipped a front air intake and rear exhaust vent to the laptops’ frames to keep players cool, and able to game longer
- Immersing players deeper into the game, Dell G5 15 will also offer an optional IPS UHD 4k panel to summon a premium on-screen experience
- Dell G5 15 is available in either Standard Black or Beijing Red flavours
Alienware and NBA 2K League working together
Alienware and Dell hardware is going to be used throughout the NBA 2K League liver studio during league competitions. This is the first official esports league operated by a US professional sport league which is why it’s so exciting for Alienware and Dell to have the Alienware PC gaming portfolio involved.
“We selected Alienware as our exclusive hardware provider because we want all NBA 2K League competitions to be played on the best platform,” said Brendan Donohue, Managing Director, NBA 2K League. “Dell accomplishes that by providing the fastest possible gameplay for our talented players and delivering a second-to-none viewing experience for our passionate fans.”
You can watch the NBA 2K League Draft Clash, powered by Alienware, on Twitch April 6 from 21:00 – 23:00 GMT live from the PAX East Arena.
Miami HEAT and Misfits Gaming select Alienware for competitive advantage
Miami HEAT and Misfits Gaming have also recently chosen Alienware technology for their esports teams. The Misfits players will stream on Alienware Aurora desktops, Alienware 15 laptops, AW2518H 240Hz monitors and use Alienware keyboard and mice.
“We couldn’t be more excited to announce this foundational partnership with Alienware,” said Misfits Gaming CEO Ben Spoont. “Alienware will power and enable all our Misfits athletes across the world with high-performance PCs and equipment. We look forward to a long-standing relationship with Alienware.”
Alienware and Team Liquid unveil first-ever Esports Training Facility
On 7th March 2018 Alienware and Team Liquid opened the Alienware Training Facility for dedicated esports training. This 8,000sq foot space was announced at CES 2018 and has been designed with the high-tech training facility that athletes use in mind. At the North American Team Liquid HQ, multiple teams will be supported. All the professionals that you would find in a regular training facility are here, including a sports psychologist, nutritionist, coaches, analysts and a chef. Over 40 Team Liquid staff and players will collaborate in this workspace on a daily basis. There are plans to expand and open a second training facility in the Netherlands by the end of this year. Team Liquid also announced that in Japan, champion Street Fighter pro AW Nemo and John Takeuchhi will join their roster.
You can read more about all this news on the Dell and Alienware social media channels listed below.