Have you ever wondered why most high adrenaline videos (surfing, skiing, come with heavy metal or rock music instead of actual sound? The reason is that action cameras are not very good at recording sound. Even the GoPro series, which is the industry standard, suffers. The main reason is the fact that all these cameras are housed inside waterproof cases, meaning very little sound reaches inside the casing. The Sennheiser MKE 2 looks to solve this conundrum by offering a microphone outside the casing.
Sennheiser MKE 2 – features
- Approved high-quality audio external microphone for GoPro HERO4 action cams
- Designed for adverse conditions
- Waterproof and extremely resistant against wind noise
- Omnidirectional microphone capsule
- Integrated shock mount to suppress structure born noise
Only compatible with the GoPro Hero4 action cams.
In the box
- MKE 2 Microphone with integrated back case and connector for GoPro Hero 4
- 2 x Spacer
- Safety Guide
- Quick Guide
- Open up the GoPro case for your Hero 4 camera
- Detach the back bit from the case
- Drop the GoPro Hero 4 out of the front casing
- Attach the connector to the side of the GoPro Hero 4 camera, facing the plastic tab forward
- Put the camera back in the front case
- Put a spacer into the back case to allow for the PCB and cable to route through
- Close the case
- You are ready to use the MKE 2 with your GoPro Hero 4.
- It will automatically detect it and use it as a microphone
Before we talk about the performance, the following two issues were highlighted:
- The PCB/connector setup feels a bit flimsy and could be fiddly if you are outdoors wearing gloves or have cold hands. A setup that included a full case that wrapped around the GoPro Hero 4 might have been a better solution, though I will let Sennheiser decide how they will waterproof that!
- The more obvious one, the black back case prevents you from seeing the screen. This is generally not a problem.
Okay, the price may be high, there may be a bit of fiddly setup involved, but you will find that this is totally worth it. No more muffled sounds when you are running, cycling, skiing or even swimming. Every sound is sharp and clear.
We tried it while running (heavy breathing), cycling (bumps) and even dipped it in a bath to see how it sounded. It worked well. It was particularly impressive in the bath, as you expect a bit of muffling, but no, it was all rather clear, and any splashing sounds nearby were heard clearly.
This makes it the ideal accessory for anybody with a GoPro Hero 4 camera.
More information on the Sennheiser MKE 2 microphone can be found on their website.
It retails around £179 and can be bought from various retailers such as Amazon.
With the Sennheiser MKE 2, you now have the ability to take your action videos to the next level. Stop hiding behind music and start sounding right!