In our time, we have tried a few action cameras. While the industry standard remains the GoPro range, you will have to spend a minimum of around £200 to get one of those. Many competitors exist, though they often lack in quality or features. Hamswan have introduced their range of action cameras to disrupt the market. In this review, we look at their F60 action camera, which shoots HD video and comes with WiFi as a basic function. All this at just £30!
Hamswan F60 Action Camera – features
- Shoot video in1080p30, 720p60, 720p30, H.264 and take 12MP photos
- Anti-shake and motion detection ensure good quality video
- 170 degree wide-angle lens for scenery shots and great selfies.
- Waterproof up to 30m, allowing you to use this for waterproof sports as well as snorkeling.
- Casing protects in wet, dirty or sandy environments.
- Built in WiFi module, allows you to use it with an iOS or Android device. App allows recording as well as playback of videos.
- Detachable 1050mAh battery for easy replacement.
- Can be used as a dashboard camera
- Comes with all kinds of fittings for all kinds of situations.
- Looping, motion detection and time-lapse videos.
In the box
One of the most impressive things about this camera is the sheer amount of accessories they pack in.
The package contains:
- 1 x HAMSWAN Action Camera
- 1 x Protective Frame
- 1 x Waterproof Housing (Not Waterproof without housing)
- 3 x Fixed Base
- 4 x Cable Ties
- 2 x Back Clamp
- 2 x Curve Adhesive Mount
- 2 x 3M Adhesive Ape
- 2 x 1050mAh Detachable Battery
- 1 x Bicycle Stand
- 1 x Adapter
- 1 x Iron Wire
- 4 x Ribbon
- 1 x USB Cable
- 3 x Switch Support
- 1 x Cleaning Cloth
- 1 x User Manual
Ease of use
In terms of usage, the device is pretty simple. The menus are intuitive, the settings are easy to follow and change. Like most devices of this sort, you hit the top button to get it to record and stop.
Interestingly, like many devices that come from China, the manual itself is not that great.
Settings such as motion detection are particularly handy if you use it for a dashcam.
So, at the end of the day, how much does £30 get you? Quite a lot, it seems. The image stabilisation works incredibly well, the quality is great and it works brilliantly in most light conditions. My favourite way to test these cameras is to go for a snorkel, but sadly I wasn’t able to do that with this. Bike ride it was, instead!
As per usual, most of these cameras do not record sound very well. This is generally due to the casing, and is expected.
Images taken as still are pretty decent too.
The 170 degree wide angle lens means you have a slight fish eye effect on your video as well as images.
Will this camera do for a decent action camera? It surely will!
One of the advantages here is that this camera comes with an associated app that allows you to connect to this over WiFi. WiFi is used instead of traditional methods like Bluetooth because it allows for a faster speed. The downside is that you will lose access to regular WiFi on your device. Generally, this shouldn’t be a problem.
The app is called ‘FinalCam’ and can be downloaded via your respective app store. It is available for both Android and iOS devices.
Before you use the app, you need to enable the WiFi setup and look at the password from your device menu. Then connect to that WiFi using your device.
Once connected, load up the app, and you’re good to go. The app allows you to view live footage, play back recordings, or control recording.
The battery life for this under a single charge is an hour on average.
More information on the Hamswan F60 Action camera can be found on their website.
It retails for only £29.99 and can be bought from the likes of Amazon.