When Apple announced the MacBook last year, there was a distinct lack of ports on it. In fact, it came with just one USB C port. This meant that you could only connect one device to your laptop. More so, since it also charged using the same port, things got even more complicated when you wanted to charge it. The only way to get around this was the use of USB-C accessories. Apple was the first to jump in on this (surprise, surprise!). However, a year down the line, and we have a whole suite of USB-C accessories. Moshi is one such company, offering a whole suite of USB-C accessories.
Below, we take a look at some of their feature devices.
Moshi USB-C Multiport Adapter
The MultiPort Adapter is my favourite device of the bunch. It offers the following features:
- Connect any USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 laptop to an external monitor or TV.
- HDMI output at 1080p (60 Hz) and 4K (30 Hz) resolutions. HDCP-compatible.
- Data transfer: supports USB 3.1 (Gen 1) at rates up to 5 Gbps.
- Power: supports fast laptop charging up to 60 W (20 V/3 A).
- Integrated Smart LED charging indicator.
- Supports multi-channel digital audio output on compatible devices.
- Unibody aluminum enclosure with reinforced stress relief for added durability.
- Folding cable design for sleek portability.
While a lot of USB-C multiport adapters exist, not many offer pass through charging. This means that with this plugged in, you can easily charge your MacBook while you plug in a monitor or a USB device. Moreover, the smart LED charging indicator makes it handy to know when your device is fully charged. The light goes from orange to green to indicate as such.
While the adapter does work for mobiles with USB-C ports (such as the LG G6, Huawei P10 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8, etc), it doesn’t charge them through this. Must be something to do with the hardware configuration of the device.
It retails for around £68 and can be bought directly via the Moshi website or online retailers such as Amazon, where you can get it for £55.
USB-C to Ethernet Adapter
- Connects your USB-C laptop via Gigabit Ethernet for data transfer speeds up to 1000 Mbps.
- Anodized aluminum casing minimizes electromagnetic interference.
- Includes a pass-through USB port for connecting extra devices (USB 3.1 Gen 1).
- 100% Plug-n-Play and Thunderbolt 3 compatible.
- Integrated Link/Activity LED indicators.
The best part is the inclusion of an extra USB 3 port. The LEDs add to the functionality as well.
USB-C to USB Adapter
And there are some of us who prefer things to be simple. For those of us, you have the simple USB-C to USB converter from them. It comes with the following features:
- Connect any standard USB device (hard drive, hub, printer, and more) to your MacBook’s USB-C port.
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 supporting up to 5 Gbps data transfer speed and 3 A power output.
- Anodized aluminum casing to minimize electromagnetic interference.