What is it?
Quite simply, a way to convert your old VHS tapes to DVD, or other video formats. It does need a working VCR/Video Tape Player to work. It works on all PCs, but NOT ON MACs!
What do you get?
Included is a white box that does all the conversion, with the required cables. You install the software on your laptop/desktop, and off you go.
You will need to install the software on your system. As I have mentioned before, the software is designed for PC, and will not work on MACs.
The installation is simple enough, and it offers you three modes:
- Easy Wizard Mode – for beginners, to let it all just happen.
- Advanced Mode – For various options
- Audio Recorder – To turn your old records, tapes, to digital music files.
Some of the features included in the software are:
- Turning analogue video into digital formats.
- You can capture from HD Camcorders/recorders
- Add menu pages, motion, and music
- Add background music
- Option to burn Blu-Ray
- Record Audio
- Convert to other video formats, so you can play them on your smartphones, tablets, or televisions.
- Upload directly to services such as YouTube.
Ease of use
The Easy Wizard Mode is obviously the easiest and most straightforward to use. The software is simple, and fairly intuitive.
The quality of the video may need to be adjusted, so you may want to go into advanced mode. Other options are also available.
You can buy this from Amazon at £52.47: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (PC)
Other options exist, as well. The price is fairly reasonable, and it all depends on what kind of memories you have stored on VHS. Obviously, many shops may offer this service, but it often costs up to £15 a VHS, so the ability to turn all of your memories for about 50 quid, is not a shabby option at all.
All in all, this is pretty much one of those it does what it says on the tin kind of products. For us, it worked straight out of the box, and that is how we like things to be.