Parallels (parallels.com/about), a global leader in cross-platform solutions and creator of industry-leading software for running Windows applications on a Mac, has announced that Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac version 16.1.1 (parallels.com/desktop) now fully supports macOS Big Sur, as both a host and guest operating system (OS). Note that currently available versions of Parallels Desktop cannot run virtual machines on Macs with the Apple M1 chip. Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac integrates the largest design update of Apple’s desktop operating system since the debut of OS X, bringing increased graphics performance; and a variety of new integrated features that provide customers with the best Windows-on-Mac experience ever.
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac Pro Edition
The #1 selling version of Parallels Desktop is Parallels Desktop Pro Edition. It is a more powerful, feature-rich and flexible solution than the Standard Edition yet simple to use. Parallels Desktop Pro Edition makes it easy for anyone to enjoy maximum productivity. New and key Pro Edition features include:
- CPUs and RAM: Assign up to 32 vCPUs and 128 GB vRAM for each VM.
- Microsoft Visual Studio plug-in: Visual Studio integration simplifies testing applications across operating systems.
- Create and name custom networks (new): Name your custom networks for more organized and productive testing.
- Nested Virtualization: Run and test Microsoft Hyper-V based virtual machines in your Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
- Command Line: Rich command-line interface (prlctl and prlsrvctl) allows flexible work automatization.
- Vagrant, Docker, and Jenkins Plugins: Complimentary Vagrant, Docker and Jenkins plugins/providers for developers.
- Linked Clones: Make a new VM from a snapshot of the existing VM. The linked clone occupies only a fraction of disk space that is used by the parent VM, as it reuses disk sectors that are the same for both VMs.
- Archive a VM right in Control Centre: Pro users tend to have many virtual machines which occupy a lot of disk space. In-place archive right from Parallels Desktop Control Center, with the ability to manage the configuration of an archived VM, brings unique convenience.
- Prepare for transfer (new): Export a VM in a compressed format as a solid file for easier and faster upload and transfer to new hardware.
- 50+ features: More than 50 useful and time-saving features are included in the Pro-Edition.
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac Business Edition
New Parallels Desktop 16 Business Edition features, which are in addition to all Pro Edition features, include:
- Corporate VM provisioning: Easily configure VMs with preinstalled applications to upload and host for employees to securely download and run on their Mac devices.
- Upgrade control: Centralized administration provides flexible controls to manage access to new Parallels Desktop updates, new feature releases, upgrades and new macOS releases.
- Passwordless update: Administrator credentials are no longer required for Parallels Desktop updates, making it easier for IT and users to keep it current even when users are not admins on their Mac devices.
- Easy installation on macOS Big Sur: Parallels Desktop installation on macOS Big Sur does NOT require the approval of system extension, so installation is fast, seamless and does not require rebooting your Mac.