If you’re a habitual owner of Apple devices, you’re probably well aware of how fragile they can be. In fact, I have probably seen more iPhones with smashed screens that any other device. The usual answer to this conundrum is putting a case on your device, but they come with their own problems. They are often bulky and heavy, and most of them do not really offer as much protection as you’d like. Catalyst are trying to address these issues by giving iPhone (and other product) users their own spin on the thing. Not only are their cases tested for military grade drops, they are also IP-68 waterproof and fully dust proof. On top of all this, the touch screen as well as the touch ID sensor works perfectly well despite being behind this layer of protection.
The full features offered by the case are as of follows:
- Every unit tested IP-68 waterproof 5m (16.4′) and fully dust proof
- Designed to meet MIL-SPEC 810G for drops up to 2m (6.6′); premium non-slip rubber exterior, lanyard attachment point on case and included wrist lanyard for extra protection so your device will always be secure
- 11.4mm ultra slim design maintains curved shape of your iPhone 6S and features signature Catalyst clear case front and clear case back to showcase and compliment the look of your iPhone
- Elegant patented rotating crown dial to switch mute on and off
- Integrated ultra sensitive non-watermarking screen protector that maintains full access to touchscreen including all Control Center functions
- Airtight waterproof acoustic membranes use True Sound Acoustics technology to transmit sound clearly
- Full access to all buttons, sensors, cameras, flash and Touch ID (with non watermarking Touch ID membrane that allows full fingerprint biometric scan)
- Hard coated optical lens is not recessed to keep lens area clear of trapped water, snow, dirt, or salt spray and allow crystal clear photos
- Easy to assemble and disassemble; made of durable materials to avoid limitations on the number of times that parts can be removed and reassembled.
- Charge port is compatible with Lightning connector heads on most after market charge cables up to 11.5mm wide and 6mm thick
- Audio port allows quick access to 3.5mm stereo headphone mini-jack on iPhone 6S and is compatible with most after market headphone jacks up to a port dimension of 6mm; audio jack adapter sold separately for L shaped jacks or jacks> 6mm in diameter
We gave the cases for the iPhone 6S and the SE a spin, and found them to be great. Installation is rather simple, and the website actually shows you instructions on exactly how to do it. Similarly, it is rather easy to take the case off too.
The cases offer quite a lot of features, and one of our favourites is having a rotating dial to adjust between silent and sound modes on the phone. The case is rather thin for the kind of protection it offers, and it relies on simple mechanical features such as good plastic seals and o-rings to make sure the phone stays safe.
Like most cases, you won’t be able to get a waterproof seal when you are accessing the ports. The ports themselves are designed well, and no issues were had accessing any of them.
More information as well as buying links can be found on the Catalyst website.