Acer may be a brand that focuses on computers and tablets, but Acer really ACE it when it comes to gaming. Attend any gaming event and you’ll see what I mean. You get everything from computers and laptops to monitors. We are with Acer in Belfast at the moment where I am lucky enough to be taking part in Acer Live Blog 2016. An annual tradition which lets us explore not only their devices, but also partake in interesting activities as we explore various cities in the world. We have already done Edinburgh and Dublin, so it was only natural to visit our Northern Irish neighbours, and give Belfast a visit. A beautiful sunny day has embraced us, but more importantly, we have a room full of gaming devices, and I am ready to tell you all about them.
In this article I will give you a low down on the range, and as time goes on, I will hopefully be able to cover some of the devices in more detail. The latest gaming range from Acer is called Predator, and it packs in a punch of specifications and features.
Gaming monitors have come a long way, and as is visible by the shot above, Acer are not taking any prisoners. We have the Z35, X34 and XB271 promising you a complete immersive experience. Want three monitors? Why not put these together!
Obviously, one of the things that really excites me is not just the display quality and the frame rates. It is the detail you see, the gaming experience, and more so, the temptation to use these to actual work. Yeah, being an electronics engineer and all that, I cannot help but notice the ability to use any great display system for a bit of CAD design.
Hey, isn’t that what gives you all the magic within these devices anyway?
Now this is where it starts getting serious. We have the G6, the slightly smaller G3, and the super compact G1, which incredibly features the same specifications as the G6.
While I will be detailing some of the specifications of the G6 in the bullet points below, let me draw your attention to a button on the top. Can’t see it? See it again in the image below:
See it? No? Not the power button! I am talking about the button above that says Turbo. Oh yeah. You remember those in computers? Just me? Ah, showing my age here, but that button over there can actually give you a single button overclocking ability, about 105% on an i7 and about 111% on an i5. Quick look at the specifications for this beautiful beast are below:
- Features up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM and sixth generation i5 and i7 processors.
- Ice Tunnel cooling to keep the system cool
- Featuring NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980(1) and support for UHD 4K2K (3840 x 2160) display
- Front facing easy swap expansion bay
- Supplying the sound capabilities hardcore gamers demand is the Creative Sound Blaster™ X-Fi MB5 and Environmental Audio Extensions (EAX®) 5.0 and 5.1 channel audio support package
Want something smaller? Try the G3. And if you want something rather special, look at the tiny beast below:
With special ‘ears’ that pop out to allow you to hold on to your headphones, this nifty little thing actually has the same specifications as the G6, yet in a smaller package. Heating? Not to worry, Acer have you covered!
Don’t like being stuck on your desk? Predator has you covered in the form of gaming laptops. Featuring high specifications, graphics abilities as well as cooling, these laptops are not really about the compromises. You have laptops in 17 and 15 inch ranges, and Acer have also thrown in a special cooling dock that can replace the optical drive on the fly.
Predator gaming notebooks offers you the following specs:
- Acer’s new Predator gaming notebooks feature the 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ processor, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX980 graphics, up to 32GB of DDR4 memory and enterprise level 512GB NVMe PCIe solid state drives
- Predator FrostCore easy-swappable fan keeps heat down; performance up.
- Killer DoubleShot™ Pro allows you to prioritize and optimize bandwidth and combine wireless networking and LAN at the same time.
- Predator SoundPound 2.1 boasts two speakers, a powerful subwoofer and Dolby Audio™ surround sound ensure you hear enemies before an attack.
- PredatorSense and the Predator ProZone Keyboard offer intelligent gaming control and superb accuracy with four customizable backlight zones.
- Connect up to three monitors, including one NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ monitor.
They look and feel sexy, and boy do they feel good when gaming. The coloured keyboards, the thick chunky cooling, and the sexy car curves all tell you that these machines mean business like no other.
Predator 8 – the sexiest tablet alive
Do you remember when Android tablets first came out? They were exciting. They seemed to have a certain class. They were not boring. However, in the next few years, they have turned into a rather dull part of the Android range. Black bodies, hints of metal on the bezel, and fairly average specifications have not really helped the Android tablet. However, let none of this worry you at all, because Acer have not only turned the tablet sexy, they have actually made it beautiful, and given it some serious punch with 4 front facing speakers. The back looks like it was designed in a car workshop, and the brushed metal finish is just awesome.
It may not look like a traditional tablet, and that is definitely a good thing! We haven’t managed to get excited about an Android tablet in a while, so thank you Acer for delivering something that helps.
It features the following specifications:
- Game play comes to life with Predator Quadio, a combination of four front-facing speakers and virtual surround sound, while tactile feedback is delivered through Predator TacSense
- Exceptionally realistic visuals are delivered on the 8-inch FHD display (1920 x 1200) featuring Predator ColourBlast technology.
- Immersive and graphically rich gaming is powered by the newest Intel® Atom™ x7 processor, Android 5.1, and 2×2 MIMO wireless technology for blazing-fast Internet connections
- Extremely thin and lightweight, the dark grey brushed aluminium design is just 8.7mm thin and 350 grams light
It sounds good, it looks good, and it feels good. While I have only had a little bit of play, it seems to be a promising device!
There is more!
Oh yes, there is not only a projector to add to the series, there is also a Predator Keyboard, a Predator Mouse and some gaming headphones.
All packaged to mean business, and together with the Predator backpack, bring you an amazing bundle.
More on all of this can be found on the Acer website.