Universal remotes are nothing new, and ‘One for All’ have been a major player in the game. We have seen all kinds of devices recently, and much like our media devices, the universal remote world is getting increasingly complex, featuring displays, and what not. One for All have gone away from the trend by introducing us to the Smart Control URC9780, which takes all the good work of its predecessor and gives you more.
- Control multiple devices as if they were one. The first pre-programmed universal remote control with a free APP for the easiest setup ever of all your devices.
- Even though the Smart Control can be fully set up on the remote itself – like all our universal remotes – it comes with a convenient free setup app.
- The app guides you through a few easy steps to set up your remote. Set up your TV, Set Top Box, Blu-ray, Audio, DVD, Game Console, Media Player and Soundbar in just minutes.
- Smart Control cleans up the mess. Control the following devices with just one universal remote: TV, Set Top Box (cable, satellite and DVB-T/Freeview), Blu-ray, DVD, Audio, Soundbar, Game console and Media player.
- Devices that do not even exist yet can be controlled with the Smart Control in the future as well. Buying a new TV won’t stop you using the Smart Control in the future. A promise we can make as the setup app is always up to date and connected to our device database.
Look and feel
The device looks and feels much like any other remote control you may come across. Yes, it has more buttons than your average remote, but it works well, it is compact, and very well laid out. It isn’t intimidating, and the buttons all have a good feel.
Buttons also feature a white back light, which means you know what mode you are in, and how well it works.
The remote features compatibility with over 7000 brands and 335000 models. It is compatible with everything I found in my house, and while that doesn’t say a lot, I do have a fair few devices knocking about.
There are three ways to set up functionality on this:
- Using the app
- Using codes to set it up
- Learn feature
I tried a combination of the above, and it all worked well.
The app is a free download on Android and Apple Store. It needs Bluetooth to pair to your remote, which seemed to work smoothly for me. While the app is used to set up your devices, it also serves the purpose to find your remote when it is lost. This is probably my favourite feature of the app, as these days losing a remote is probably the easiest thing to do!
Your remote will beep when you enable this feature, allowing you to find it.
Part of the usefulness of this remote is the fact that the web page is full of helpful videos, letting you control and set up your device easily. The videos can be found on the website linked below.
Ease of use
Once set up, it is fairly easy to use this. You can select devices or what mode you are in. For example, you can go through TV watching mode, which combines your TV and Set Top Box, film watching, which combines your Blu Ray or DVD player, and so on. You can also individually address separate devices, but the modes mean that you can control the right buttons correctly. For example, volume will increase the volume of your telly, while the channels/guide will show you the guide from your set top box.
More information on this can be found on the One for All website:
It is available from various retailers, including Amazon, and it retails for £39.99.
This is a must have for every body who has more than 2 devices in their home, and quite frankly, who doesn’t!