Smart watches there are plenty, but nobody caused a bigger splash in the smart watch world than Pebble, which broke all records and introduced the world to crowd funding and Kickstarter a few years ago. Their e-ink based watch ran for days, featured an always on screen, and worked with both Android and iOS. Then earlier this year, they did all again with the Pebble Time, this time with a coloured e-ink screen. Now, in a world that is highly saturated by many different offerings, Pebble are at it to change things again. What is the one thing that scars all smart watches out there? They are chunky and heavy. Do we have a true smart watch that packages everything in a traditional watch size? No. Well, not till yesterday.
Pebble are at it again. This time, they have introduced the Pebble Time Round, the world’s thinnest and lightest smart watch. At only 7.5mm thick, and only 28 grams, with a round dial, this is ready to change the smart watch landscape once again.
Watch a quick video by Eric, Pebble’s founder, which shows off and talks about the watch:
What they said:
“Pebble Time Round looks different from anything we’ve ever made before and is the perfect addition to our growing product lineup,” said Eric Migicovsky, CEO and co-founder of Pebble. “It’s the first smartwatch that looks like a classic wristwatch and furthers our mission to create useful technology that blends into your everyday life, not the other way around. We recognize that wearable technology can’t be one-size-fits-all and are fiercely committed to offering unique choices that suit individual style and expression.”
Some facts and figures
- World’s lightest (28grams) and thinnest (7.5mm) smart watch yet.
- Comes packed in a classic wristwatch design, two band sizes (14mm and 20mm) and three finishes (Black, Silver or Rose), with a selection of leather and stainless steel bands.
- A quick charging battery lasts two days on a single charge, and charging for 15 minutes gives you a day’s battery life.
- Tactile buttons for easy eye-free control.
- Magnetic charging with cable that works on any USB port.
- It features an always on, easy to read, colour e-paper display, with LED backlight
- It works with Android and iPhone smartphones.
- It includes Pebble’s popular timeline interface, putting past, present and future activities within a discreet glance of the wrist.
- Splash resistant to IPX7 standard.
- Built in microphone for voice notes and quick replies.
- Vibrating motor for discreet alerts and alarms.
- Pebble has also announced the availability of the SDK enabling developers and partners to bring new and existing Pebble Time apps to the Pebble Time Round screen. This will equip custom watchfaces and apps such as ESPN, The Weather Channel, Misfit, Uber and Swarm by Foursquare to function seamlessly on the new display.
What we think
Pebble have definitely done it again. Thinner and lighter, this will not only embed into our daily lives in a way no other smart watch does, but also make this a fashion statement. Personally, we can’t wait to have a play with it, and show it off on our wrists!
The battery life of 2 days is bit of a concern, compared to the 5-7 days we have come to expect from our Pebbles. However, with the quick charge, we can pop it on the charge when we go for our showers in the morning and that should keep it running non-stop.
It retails for $249 USD or £229 GBP and the watch is available for pre-orders today via the website:
I can see that the pre-orders are working for the UK website as well, with expected delivery late November or December. Makes it a perfect Christmas present!
It is coming to UK in late 2015, while rest of the EU will follow in 2016.