It may sound like an oxymoron, but responsible gambling does exist. In fact, many online casinos and gambling companies actively encourage the concept. This may sound weird, but if the words gambling and betting do not get rid of the negative impression they have, it only harms their business.
The whole idea of Responsible Gambling, and in fact the whole city of Las Vegas, operates on one principle alone, and that is the fact that gambling should be taken as a form of entertainment that can be enjoyed any time. Obviously, there are people who will take it too far, specially these days with apps allowing you to play on any device, and in any location, it has become so much easier to get stuck in this.
However, there are some things you can do to protect yourself, and more importantly, your loved ones:
- Self Exclusion
- Play at sites where staff have been trained to pick up on bad gaming patterns
- Visit websites that give you information on responsible gambling
- Find out about tools and management systems that protect against compulsive gambling
- Make sure no underage children are indulging in this, using software and tools such as CyberPatrol, by not sharing your credit card details with them, etc. Also, better management of what kids do online would be very useful.
One of the better places to head to the web for advice is GambleAware.com. They are full of advice about gambling, as well support, tips, and more. In fact, they even point you towards the National Gambling Helpline on Freephone 0808 8020 133. Of course, GamCare, which runs the National Gambling Helpline is a great place to head to as well, for advice, awareness and help. The help expands to everything, from gambling to even help about money and debt.
The other alternative is to use a software such as NetNanny which not only helps you stay away from such websites, but also gives you peace of mind for when your kids and youngsters are using your devices.
MansionCasino.com, one of the top online casino/gambling options available to us in the UK, takes Responsible Gambling seriously and has set the following ten rules of Responsible Gambling:
- If you choose to gamble, do it for entertainment purposes only.
- Treat the money you lose as the ‘cost’ of your entertainment and treat any winnings as a bonus.
- Set a time limit and stick to it. Stop playing at the appointed time, whether you are winning or losing.
- Set a budget and stick to it. Decide not only what you can afford to lose but also how much you want to spend. Do not change your mind after losing.
- Expect to lose. The odds are against you. Accept loss as part of the game.
- Become educated about the warning signs of problem gambling. The more you know, the better choices you can make.
- Make it a private rule not to gamble on credit. Do not borrow money to gamble.
- Create balance in your life. Gambling should not interfere with or substitute for friends, family, work or other worthwhile activities.
- Avoid ‘chasing’ lost money. The chances are that the more you try to recoup your losses, the larger your losses will be.
- Don’t gamble as a way to cope with emotional or physical pain. Gambling for reasons other than entertainment can lead to problems.
You can read more about their Responsible Gambling policy by clicking the following link:
Of course, at the end of the day, it is all down to you and yourself. Protect yourself. Look after yourself. Use all the tools you can to help protect against any compulsive gambling.Google+