There were rumours, and a Russian website had gone as far as publishing a full review of the device even before it had been made official. Anyway, Samsung have now announced the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, another addition to the Galaxy range, which also carries the S4 mark!
So, what is it? It is a smartphone packed into a phone, much like the Galaxy Camera we saw last year. Here are some of the features that stand out, and we like:
- Favourite feature? A dedicated shutter button! There aren’t enough devices out there that have this.
- 10x Optical zoom
- 16 MP CMOS sensor
- Optical Image stabilization
- Xenon Flash
- Zoom ring to control zoom
- Zoom ring can be used to activate Quick Launch and Shortcut features, for example, taking a photo during a phone call.
- The zoom control also allows you to adjust other features.
- Running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, with TouchWiz on top
- Available in the UK this summer
- 4G compatible
- 1.5GHz Dual Core processor
- 4.3″ screen with 960 x 540 pixels
- 8GB memory with microSD expansion
- Battery: 2330 mAH
- 125.5 x 63.5 x 15.4 mm
- 208 gm
The main camera features the following specs:
- 16 MP
- 10x Optical Zoom
- Optical Image Stabilization
- 24-240mm, F3.1-F6.3
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Continuous shot: 4fps
- Xenon Flash
- Smart Mode, with Expert Modes available (P/S/M/C)
- We definitely like the idea of having a great camera in our pockets, combined with a smart phone. In fact, we’d even take a dumb phone with a camera packed into it!
- Particularly like the fact that the camera allows a Manual mode
- A wide range of zoom and aperture available
- Fairly decent camera speed
- The weight itself is quite decent too
- The main concern is, how will it fit in my jeans pockets. That is a question that can only be answered once I have had a play with, which I am quite keen to do
- Wondering if Samsung have missed a trick there by not including a better HD screen on the phone. Having a good screen always helps make a camera look better to people, regardless of what the pictures look like on a different screen or paper.