The media team of XBOX 360 have published some exciting numbers reporting the popularity and rise of the XBOX systems use in 2012. Here is the complete press release:
Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president, IEB and Nancy Tellem, entertainment and digital media president, participated in the All Things D: Dive into Media industry event on Monday evening just outside of Los Angeles, sharing their vision for entertainment on Xbox and announcing new Xbox 360 momentum data.
Nancy announced the name of her LA studio as Xbox Entertainment Studios, which will create original interactive content. Xbox Entertainment Studios will also oversee interactive live events, similar to Sunday night’s live streaming of the Grammy Awards’ red carpet broadcast.
Yusuf shared exciting new Xbox 360 momentum and entertainment highlights from 2012, including:
· 76 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold around the world to-date
· Xbox 360 has been the #1 selling console in the US for 24 consecutive months, selling three times the number of original Xbox consoles
· 24 million Kinect sensors have been sold around the world to-date
· The Xbox LIVE community has grown to 46 million subscribers, a 15% YOY growth
· In 2012, the amount of TV and entertainment offerings on Xbox almost tripled, nearly surpassing 100 custom, voice-controlled Xbox LIVE apps
· 2012 was the biggest year for entertainment and games usage on Xbox:
o Xbox delivered 18 billion hours of entertainment in 2012, over 10% YOY growth
o The average user now spends 87 hours a month on Xbox, a 10% YOY growth (Base: Gold subscribers in the U.S., includes all Xbox activity)
o Entertainment app usage grew 57% year over year globally (hours calendar year 2012 vs. 2011)
o Online multiplayer gaming also grew during 2012
· The Xbox audience is broadening and becoming more engaged:
o According to third party data from the Experian Simmons Spring 2012 Media survey, almost 40% (38%) of the Xbox LIVE audience in the U.S. is female and 54% of the Xbox LIVE community in the U.S. has at least one or more child in the household
o Since July, the Xbox LIVE community has burned 200 million calories using Xbox and Kinect for workouts and activities such as Kinect Nike+ Fitness, other workout programs and games
o Family content consumption on Xbox Video has grown 400% year over year; “The Hunger Games”, a movie popular with young women and teenagers, broke the record for biggest opening day in Xbox history when it launched on Xbox LIVE
Please visit the Microsoft News Center for more details on Yusuf and Nancy’s participation and announcements from the event.
We expect that 2013 will be another big year for Xbox, and we’ll keep you updated every step of the way. In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions.
The Xbox TeamGoogle+